A Secret Service agent at the scene after gunshots were near the White House in Washington, D.C. Photo: Reuters

Suspect 'down' after shots fired near White House

· Otago Daily Times Online News

Officers at a White House checkpoint responded to gunshots on Saturday evening, and a shooting suspect was "down" and had been taken to hospital, a law enforcement official told Reuters.

A person approached the checkpoint at 17th St and Pennsylvania Ave near the White House and started shooting at officers, according to the official.

The suspect was "down" and had been transported to George Washington Hospital, the official said.

He did not specify the suspect's condition or how he was brought down.

The suspect was identified as an emotionally disturbed person, the official said, adding that a "stay-away order" had been issued to the suspect previously.

Earlier, the US Secret Service said it was investigating the incident and FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency was supporting the probe.