Demolition drive, clash with cops, 15 arrests; What happened in Bandra East so far

A Western Railway demolition drive in Bandra East's Garib Nagar led to clashes between residents, officials and police. The court-backed anti-encroachment action has triggered protests, arrests and wider outrage.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Western Railway began the anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar on May 19
  • Authorities said the clearance was needed for railway expansion and better connectivity
  • Bombay High Court orders led officials to spare about 100 structures

The Garib Nagar Slum, one of the most densely populated areas located outside Bandra Station’s eastern side, has been grabbing a lot of national headlines since the Western Railway (WR) started a major anti-encroachment drive to reclaim about 5,200-5,300 square metres for railway expansion. Although the initiative was welcomed by a section of people, it faced resistance from the slum dwellers, who allegedly turned violent while protesting against the encroachment drive.

The incident unfolded on May 19, when the Western Railway authorities, in coordination with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the Mumbai Police, reached the spot with an array of bulldozers. In three days, nearly 85% of the properties, including houses and shops.

Vineet Abhishek, the Public Relations officer of the Western Railway, said, “In line with the order from the Bombay High Court, we have demolished almost all the illegal constructions in this place. However, we have left 100 structures that the High Court asked us not to demolish.”

CONTROVERSIES ERUPT OVER DEMOLITION

Although the administrative entities portrayed the demolition as a move to enhance public development through the expansion of the existing lines, creating better connectivity between Bandra Terminus and suburban stations, and supporting projects like improved access to the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), it triggered a major controversy.

Families pleaded with officials amid the rubble to not demolish the house, or at least let them take their household items out, only for the bulldozers to silence their pleas. One viral video showed an elderly woman distressed over the rubble, saying she could not even retrieve a religious scripture from her house.

The demolition drive has also created a ripple among a section of civil society activists, with several of them protesting against the drive.

Criticising the initiative, Siraj Noorani, an activist and journalist, wrote on X, “This slum, inhabited nearly two hundred years ago, now lies abandoned. Residents, along with their wives and children, sat in an open field, carrying household items, watching their homes collapse.”

CLASH WITH COPS

The anti-encroachment protests took a violent turn on Wednesday (May 20) after residents threw stones at officials and police personnel carrying out the anti-encroachment operation. The police had to lathi-charge to disperse the crowd.

The demolition began at 8 am on Wednesday. It was peaceful for the initial few hours. However, things heated up around 3 am when the crew went ahead to raze an illegal religious structure.

Angered, the residents started pelting stones and throwing utensils, resulting in a clash between the officials and the protestors. 13 people were injured in the clash.

POLICE HAVE ARRESTED 15 IN CLASHES

After the violent protests, the Mumbai Police has arrested 15 people allegedly associated with the incident. More arrests can take place in the upcoming days.

“During the anti-encroachment drive (on Wednesday), some people threw stones at the police. The situation was brought under control, and those involved in stone-pelting were arrested," Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis told reporters here.

On the police action, the Chief Minister said that the police acted only after the protests turned violent.

- Ends