US will bomb the s**t out of them: Trump's warning to Oman over Iran Hormuz deal

Donald Trump threatened military action against Oman after Iran said it had agreed a Strait of Hormuz transit route with Muscat. The warning adds pressure on Oman as it tries to balance mediation with Washington and talks with Tehran.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Trump said he would attack Oman if it obstructed US pressure
  • His warning came as the 60-day US-Iran memorandum expired without agreement
  • Tehran said it had agreed with Muscat on a transit route map

As Iran announced it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, US President Donald Trump threatened military action against Oman if it interferes with Washington's efforts against Iran.

"If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s**t out of them," Trump told Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst in a phone interview on Monday.

Trump issued the threat on the day a 60-day memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran expired, with no comprehensive agreement reached to end the conflict. He said he was in no rush for a deal and repeated that the US naval blockade was tightening economic pressure on Tehran.

The warning placed Oman in an increasingly difficult position. A longstanding US partner and key mediator between Washington and Tehran, Muscat is now trying to negotiate access through the strategic waterway while facing a direct threat from Trump over any move he believes could undermine the US blockade of Iran.

IRAN, OMAN WORK ON HORMUZ ROUTE

Trump's remarks followed Iran's announcement that it had reached an understanding with Oman over a possible route for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said an agreement had been reached over the "map of the transit route", with Tehran and Muscat now working towards a joint statement. Baghaei did not provide full details of the arrangement. Previous discussions have indicated that ships could enter the strait through a route closer to Iran and exit through waters closer to Oman.

However, Baghaei admitted that negotiations had moved slowly, but said the two sides still intended to complete the arrangement as a package consisting of the route map and a joint statement. It presents a potential complication for Washington. The US has been pressing for an arrangement on reopening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports.

- Ends