PHOTO: AFP
Norway’s King Herald to remain in hospital, cancels engagements
· The Straits TimesOSLO - Norway’s 89-year-old King Harald, who has been hospitalised since Aug 17 due to complications from a blood condition, has cancelled his royal engagements in early September, the palace said on Aug 21.
Europe’s oldest reigning monarch is being treated for haemolytic anaemia, a condition caused by an abnormally rapid destruction of red blood cells which leads to fatigue, paleness, and shortness of breath.
He was admitted to hospital on Aug 17 due to fluid retention from the cortisone treatment he is receiving, and placed on sick leave for two weeks.
“His Majesty the King will remain at Oslo University Hospital for further treatment,” the palace said on Aug 21.
It said he had cancelled his visit to the central region of Trondelag scheduled for Sept 1 and 2 – after the end of the previously-announced sick leave period.
King Harald, who ascended the Norwegian throne in 1991, has had multiple health problems in recent years but has repeatedly ruled out abdicating.
Several members of his family, including his son Crown Prince Haakon who is serving as regent in Harald’s absence, have visited him in hospital. AFP