A screen grab from footage released on May 20 by Israeli Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir shows a detained activist from the Gaza-bound aid flotilla being escorted by security forces.PHOTO: AFP

Global outrage mounts after Israeli minister taunts Gaza flotilla activists

· The Straits Times

JERUSALEM – Western governments voiced outrage on May 21 after Israel’s far-right security minister posted a video of himself taunting Gaza-bound flotilla activists being pinned to the ground, with two later alleging they were physically assaulted in detention.

The activists’ treatment by police officers under the direction of Israeli Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir also drew a rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and from the US, Israel’s staunchest ally.

The activists, whose vessel was intercepted on May 20 in international waters by Israeli naval forces as they were trying to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza, were all deported from Israel on May 21, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said.

Across Europe, governments summoned Israeli ambassadors to condemn the video.

Italy demanded an apology, Spain said it would not tolerate maltreatment of its citizens, and France demanded the release of all the detainees.

Britain’s Foreign Ministry said the video “violates the most basic standards of respect and dignity for people”, while Poland’s foreign minister called for Mr Ben-Gvir to be banned from entering the country.

The US Ambassador to Israel, Mr Mike Huckabee, said Mr Ben-Gvir had “betrayed (the) dignity of his nation”.

The outpouring of anger follows the posting of campaign-style videos by Mr Ben-Gvir and at least one other minister in Mr Netanyahu’s government, transport chief Miri Regev, showing them visiting the port and lambasting the protesters – attention-grabbing antics ahead of a potential early election in Israel.

Mr Thameen al-Kheetan, spokesman for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said the activists’ arrest at sea appeared to be unlawful, and that any maltreatment should be investigated and those found responsible held to account.

“It is not a crime to show solidarity and bring humanitarian assistance to the people who are in dire need of it in Gaza,” he told Reuters.

Italian activists allege physical assault

Italian journalist Alessandro Mantovani, one of several activists separated from the others and flown home earlier, said he had been beaten up on arrival in Israeli detention in what he described as a container, calling it a “place of terror”.

“‘Beat you up’ means they kicked me in the legs and punched me in the face. These are people who know what they are doing, so I don’t have any major visible marks... They would beat you up and would tell you ‘Welcome to Israel’,” he told reporters on arrival at Rome’s Fiumicino airport.

Another Italian activist, Mr Dario Carotenuto, a lawmaker from the Five Star Movement, said he had been punched in the eye and kicked while detained.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the allegations by activists that they were abused after the flotilla was intercepted.

Activists who were part of previous flotillas intercepted by Israel also said they faced abuse by Israeli forces, something Israel rejected.

Flotilla organisers say they aimed to break Israel’s blockade of Gaza by delivering humanitarian aid, which charities say is still in short supply despite a US-brokered ceasefire between Israel and ​Hamas in place since October 2025 that includes guarantees of increased aid.

The flotilla departed from southern Turkey this week before being intercepted on May 20.

Past flotillas – including one carrying Swedish activist Greta Thunberg – were also intercepted by Israel, with participants later deported.

Israeli rights group Adalah said the estimated 430 activists had been released from prison in southern Israel and would be deported via the Ramon airport near Eilat on the Red Sea.

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said his country was conducting special flights that would take Turkish citizens, as well as third-country participants, to Turkey. Those on board the flotilla included citizens of Spain, South Korea and Ireland.

“We will continue to uphold the rights of our citizens and fulfil our humanitarian responsibility towards civilians in Gaza,” Mr Fidan said.

Taunting of activists comes ahead of Israeli election

Mr Ben-Gvir’s video shows officers forcing an activist to the ground after she chants “Free, free Palestine”.

The video also shows dozens of detained activists kneeling in rows with their hands zip-tied behind their backs, in what appears ​to be an outdoor Israeli port facility.

In the background, soldiers armed with long guns can be seen patrolling the area from aboard a military vessel.

During Israel’s two-year military assault in Gaza, launched after the October 2023 Hamas attack, Israeli troops frequently lined up detained Palestinians on the ground, with their hands bound.

“Look at them now. See how they look now, not heroes and not anything,” Mr Ben-Gvir says in the video as he walks by the activists while carrying a large Israeli flag.

Mr Netanyahu, who leads the most right-wing government in Israel’s history, said Mr Ben-Gvir’s conduct was “not in line with Israel’s values and norms”.

Mr Ben-Gvir’s political base includes some of Israel’s most nationalist voters, a bloc that Mr Netanyahu’s Likud party has in the past tried to woo ahead of national elections, the next of which is due by Oct 27.

This week, Israel moved closer to a snap election after lawmakers gave an initial nod to dissolve Parliament.

Canada and Spain are among countries that have imposed sanctions on Mr Ben-Gvir and far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, citing allegations that they incited violence against Palestinians. REUTERS