Ex-Nottinghamshire Police detective appears in court over rape and sexual assault charges
by Joel Moore · NottinghamshireLiveA former detective constable for Nottinghamshire Police has appeared in court charged with four counts of rape. Neil Bellamy, 60, of Keyworth, has also been charged with assault by penetration and misconduct in a public office.
It's alleged the offences, related to one woman, took place between 2006 and 2007, when he was a domestic abuse support officer at Oxclose Lane Police Station, Arnold. It is also alleged the former detective made unwanted sexual advances towards a "vulnerable victim" and bought her gifts including a mobile phone and CDs.
The four counts of rape and one of sexual assault allegedly took place across the same 17-month period. Dressed in a shirt and a puffer jacket, Bellamy, of Belvedere Close, Keyworth, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address, when he appeared at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Friday, April 4.
His solicitor told the court he intended to plead not guilty to all charges. Magistrates set the date for his trial as May 2 at Nottingham Crown Court.
Nottinghamshire Police previously said it cannot comment on the case. The force added the defendant should not be confused with another Nottinghamshire Police officer of the same name, who is a former Bassetlaw neighbourhood policing inspector and remains employed within its Prevention Hub.