DOJ: Law enforcement ordered to implement arrest of Bato Dela Rosa

by · philstar

MANILA, Philippines (Updated 2:48 p.m.) — Law enforcement agencies have been ordered to effect the arrest of Sen. Bato Dela Rosa, Justice Secretary Frederrick Vida said.

Speaking to the press on Thursday, May 21, Vida said that the National Bureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police have been ordered to enforce the warrant of arrest against Dela Rosa, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC).

"I would like to confirm, the Philippine law enforcement agencies, which would include the PNP, the National Bureau of Investigation, are now tasked to effect the arrest of Senator Bato Dela Rosa," Vida said.

Vida also said that with the warrant of arrest being valid, Dela Rosa is considered a fugitive from justice.

"Senator Bato is a fugitive from justice, and he should be brought to the ICC to face the charges before him," he added.

Vida also said that the panel of prosecutors requested all relevant footage from the Metropolitan Manilal Development Authority, focusing specifically on the period following Dela Rosa's apparent escape from the Senate premises after 2:30 a.m. on May 14. Additionally, he noted that the panel plans to conduct physical inspections of the GSIS premises and has requested a similar visit to the Senate premises where the event took place.

The Office of the Solicitor General earlier on Thursday said that there is no legal impediment on the arrest of Dela Rosa after the Supreme Court denied his request for a temporary restraining order and status quo ante order. However, the Supreme Court on May 20 only ruled on the interim reliefs sought by Dela Rosa.

The high court has yet to rule on the merits of the case. Dela Rosa is currently hiding after he escaped from the Senate building with Sen. Robin Padilla on the early morning of May 14.

Can't issue a hold departure order. Meanwhile, Justice Spokesperson Polo Martinez said that a hold departure order (HDO) cannot be issued against Dela Rosa because there are no charges filed against him in a local court.

"Until na korte po magsabi na may HDO, that the Department of Justice can only work within the executive branch. Ang alam po natin is that there's an existing immigration lookout bulletin order. That's separate from that's different from an HDO," Martinez said.

(Until the court issues a Hold Departure Order [HDO], the Department of Justice can only work within the executive branch. What we know is that there is an existing Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order, which is separate and different from an HDO.)

When asked whether the government would apply for an Interpol red notice against Dela Rosa, Martinez said that there is an application for an Interpol red notice. However, Martinez did not provide further details. Bureau of Immigration spokesperson Dana Sandoval, in a message to reporters, said that there is no record of Dela Rosa's departure.

Dela Rosa is wanted by the ICC for alleged crimes against humanity of murder over the killings of at least 32 people, allegedly committed between July 2016 and April 2018.