Sen. Pia Cayetano sips coffee while recalling the Senate gunfire incident, in a Facebook livestream on May 15STAR / File

Senate reshuffle continues; Pia gets Blue Ribbon

by · philstar

MANILA, Philippines —  Sen. Pia Cayetano has been elected chairperson of the Blue Ribbon committee, replacing Sen. Panfilo Lacson, who led the panel in investigating the multibillion-peso flood control scam.

Cayetano’s election marks her second time leading the chamber’s primary anti-graft panel, the first of which was during the 19th Congress. She is the first and so far the only woman to have ever led the panel.

She has yet to issue a statement on her election.

Lacson bows out not having been able to wrap up the flood control investigation and leaves hanging its supposed continuation to probe allocables and leadership funds in the Department of Public Works and Highways.

Cayetano’s initial stint saw the committee investigating the Filipino citizenship for sale scheme by local civil registries, the Philippines’ “Dirty Ashtray” award for the country’s supposed promotion of tobacco industry interests and the 2025 collapse of the Cabagan-Sta. Maria Bridge in Isabela.

Her ascent to the committee also puts to rest talks of Sen. Rodante Marcoleta’s eye for the chairmanship as he had been elected chairman of the justice committee previously held by Sen. Francis Pangilinan.

Pangilinan has also lost his chairmanship of the committee on constitutional amendments to Sen. Robinhood Padilla.

Meanwhile, Sen. Imee Marcos regained her chairmanship of the committee on foreign relations, replacing Sen. Erwin Tulfo who led the chamber in a stronger pushback against Chinese aggression in the West Philippine Sea.

Sen. Camille Villar retained her chairmanship of the committee on environment and inherited the committee on government corporations from her brother Sen. Mark Villar.

Pia breaks down

Cayetano broke down during session yesterday after hearing Sen. Risa Hontiveros criticize the leadership for pretending like nothing happened since the May 13 shooting incident.

Hontiveros delivered a privilege speech saying she was concerned that it had been a week since the incident and the senators are pretending as if nothing happened.

“We act as if nothing happened… as if our institution has not been disrespected, our staff, the Filipinos,” Hontiveros said.

Cayetano was not pleased with Hontiveros’ choice of words.

Taking the podium, she said she was so traumatized by what happened that she even called her children to say goodbye.

Pia was approached by Senators Loren Legarda and Camille Villar after she teared up when she recalled that none of her former majority senators asked them how they were at the height of the incident.

Hontiveros said that while she acknowledged her colleagues’ emotions, they as senators have a mandate to do.

Senate President Cayetano urged his colleagues to take “prudence” and appealed that they suspend discussions over the shooting incident until Monday next week.

Senate Minority Leader Vicente Sotto III asked that the issue be tackled by the Senate committee of the whole to discuss all angles, from security lapses to the Senate’s procurement of the firearms used in the gunfire.   –  Marc Jayson Cayabyab