US-Iran deal deadline expires as Trump fails to secure permanent agreement
by By The News Digital · The News InternationalA 60-day deadline for the United States and Iran to reach a wider agreement aimed at ending their conflict has expired without a final deal.
US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian signed a 14-point Memorandum of Understanding on June 17 after more than three months of conflict.
The framework, brokered mainly by Pakistan, was intended to halt hostilities and pave the way for a permanent agreement within 60 days.
The deal included provisions to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, ease some financial restrictions on Iran and establish expectations for negotiations over Tehran's nuclear programme.
However, the agreement quickly unravelled amid disputes over the strait and renewed military strikes. Trump declared the MOU “over” on July 8.
Washington has since increased economic pressure on Tehran.
“We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact they have no money,” Trump said earlier this month, according to CNN.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Saturday that no decision had been made on resuming negotiations.
Responding to Trump's threat to declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory, Araghchi said it “cannot be seized with a tweet.”
Direct strikes between US and Iranian forces have paused, but wider regional violence involving Iran-backed groups continues.