Ukraine's Kostyuk keeps focus in Paris after missile strike near parents' home
· CNA · JoinRead a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
PARIS, May 24 : Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk made short work of Oksana Selekhmeteva with a 6-2 6-3 win in the first round of the French Open on Sunday and said she was proud of how she remained focused even as the effects of the war in her country hit closer to home.
The 23-year-old Rouen and Madrid champion extended her winning streak on clay this season to 12 matches but said the result was overshadowed by news of a missile strike near her parents' home in Ukraine earlier on Sunday.
"I'm incredibly proud of myself today," an emotional Kostyuk said during her on-court interview.
"I think it was one of the most difficult matches of my career. This morning, 100 metres away from my parents' house, a missile destroyed a building. It was a very difficult morning for me.
CNA Games
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less
"I didn't know how this match would turn out. I didn't know how I'd handle it."
Kostyuk has been among the most vocal opponents of the war after Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
The 15th seed's opponent Selekhmeteva was born in Russia but switched allegiance to Spain ahead of Roland Garros.
Newsletter
Recommended Read
Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read
A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app