Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

· CNA · Join
Soccer Football - Brasileiro Championship - Santos v Cruzeiro - Estadio Urbano Caldeira, Santos, Brazil - December 7, 2025 Santos' Neymar with his wife Bruna Biancardi and their daughters after receiving an award from former Santos player Pepe before the match REUTERS/Thiago Bernardes
Soccer Football - Brasileiro Championship - Santos v Cruzeiro - Estadio Urbano Caldeira, Santos, Brazil - December 7, 2025 Santos' Neymar in action REUTERS/Thiago Bernardes

Read a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST

Feb 21 : Brazil striker Neymar, who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.

The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last five matches.

But Neymar, who has struggled with injuries in recent seasons, remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.

"I don't know what will happen from now on, I don't know about next year," he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.

Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read
A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.


This service is not intended for persons residing in the E.U. By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive news updates and promotional material from Mediacorp and Mediacorp’s partners.
Loading

"It may be that when December comes, I'll want to retire. I'm living year to year now."

"This year is a very important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it's a World Cup year, and for me too," Neymar said.

Neymar, who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals for Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.

Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

Source: Reuters

Newsletter

Recommended Read

Subscribe to CNA's Recommended Read

A single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Download here

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Join here