Floral tributes left by mourners are seen at the promenade of Bondi Beach in Sydney on Dec 18, 2025, to honour victims of the shooting that took place there on Dec 14, 2025. (Photo: AFP/David Gray)

Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack

The Australian Capital Territory has 23,000 guns and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said.

· CNA · Join

Read a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FAST
FAST

SYDNEY: Australia's capital will join a gun buyback as part of a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival in Sydney, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday (Aug 22).

Albanese's centre-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate in the wake of the December 14 gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales state.

The state, Australia's most populous, became the first to commit to the plan, which will launch on November 2.

The Australian Capital Territory, home of the national capital Canberra, has agreed to a similar scheme in an effort to make sure "an antisemitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can’t happen again", Albanese said.

CNA Games

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
Show More
Show Less

"I thank the ACT Government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians," he said in a statement.

The ACT has 23,000 guns and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders, the statement said. It did not say when the ACT buyback would begin. Albanese's office did not immediately respond to a request for details.

The gunmen accused of carrying out the Bondi Beach attack, a father and son who police say were inspired by Islamic State, used powerful firearms that were legally obtained. The surviving suspect is yet to enter pleas to a raft of charges, including 15 counts of murder.

Australia had a record 4.1 million firearms last year, the government has said.

The buyback is to be Australia's largest since a similar campaign after a 1996 rampage in Tasmania's Port Arthur, in which a gunman killed 35 people.

Source: Reuters/sz

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Subscribe here

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Download here

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Join here