WHO Declares ‘Ebola Outbreak’ Global Health Emergency

by · Northlines

NEW DELHI, May 24: The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the ongoing Ebola outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) under the International Health Regulations (IHR), 2005.

According to a Health Ministry press release, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has also classified the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus disease in the DRC and Uganda as a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security (PHECS).

The WHO IHR Emergency Committee on May 22 issued temporary recommendations to strengthen disease surveillance at Points of Entry to detect, assess and manage travellers arriving with unexplained fever from affected areas. It also advised against travel to regions where the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.

The ministry said countries bordering the DRC and Uganda, including South Sudan, are at high risk of disease transmission.

Ebola is a viral haemorrhagic fever caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus and carries a high mortality rate. Authorities said no approved vaccine or specific treatment is currently available for this strain.

India has not reported any case of Ebola caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain so far.

In view of the evolving situation, the Government of India has advised citizens to avoid non-essential travel to the DRC, Uganda and South Sudan until further notice.

Indian nationals residing in or travelling to these countries have been asked to strictly follow local public health advisories and maintain heightened precautions, the release said. (Agencies)