SC To Hear Plea Against CBSE Three-Language Policy Next Week

by · Northlines

New Delhi, May 22: The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear next week a plea challenging the Central Board of Secondary Education policy making the study of three languages compulsory for Class 9 students from July 1.

The matter was mentioned before a bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant along with Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi by senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi.

Rohatgi told the court that the public interest litigation had been filed by students, teachers and parents challenging the new CBSE policy under which two additional languages had been made compulsory in Class 9.

Seeking an urgent hearing, he submitted that implementation of the policy could create “chaos” and requested the court to list the matter on Monday.

The Chief Justice said the matter would be listed next week during the court’s miscellaneous hearing week.

According to a recent CBSE circular, the board has made the study of three languages, including at least two native Indian languages, mandatory for Class 9 students from July 1. (Agencies)