Board of Peace members pledge over $5 billion - Trump
· RTE.ieUS President Donald Trump said Board of Peace member states will announce at an upcoming meeting on Thursday a pledge of more than $5 billion for reconstruction and humanitarian efforts in Gaza.
In a post on Truth Social, Mr Trump wrote that member states have also committed thousands of personnel toward a UN-authorized stabilization force and local police in the Palestinian enclave.
Mr Trump said Thursday's gathering, the first official meeting of the group, will take place at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace, which the State Department recently renamed after the US president.
Delegations from more than 20 countries, including heads of state, are expected to attend.
The board's creation was endorsed by a United Nations Security Council resolution as part of the Trump administration's plan to end the war between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas in Gaza.
At least 12 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli airstrikes in northern and southern Gaza, Palestinian civil defence and health officials said, in what Israel's military called a response to Hamas ceasefire violations.
Despite a US-brokered truce that entered its second phase last month, violence has continued in the Palestinian territory, with Israel and Hamas trading accusations of violating the agreement.
Medics said an Israeli airstrike on a tent encampment housing displaced families killed at least four people, while health officials said another strike killed five in Khan Younis in the south.
"In recent hours, the IDF has begun striking in response to Hamas's blatant violation of the ceasefire agreement yesterday in the Beit Hanoun area," an Israeli military official said, adding that "terrorists emerged from a tunnel east of the yellow line".
The official called the strikes "precise" and in line with international law, and said the Palestinian militant group had committed more than six violations of an October ceasefire, including deploying east of the "Yellow Line" agreed under the ceasefire to demarcate Israeli- and Hamas-controlled areas.
"Crossing the yellow line in the vicinity of IDF troops, while armed, is an explicit ceasefire violation - and demonstrates how Hamas systematically violates the ceasefire agreement with intent to harm IDF troops," the official said.
Israel and Hamas have repeatedly accused each other of violating the ceasefire deal, a key element of US president's plan to end the Gaza war.
Yesterday, the military said it had identified armed "terrorists" near IDF personnel operating in northern Gaza.
The IDF said it continued to destroy underground tunnels in northern Gaza in accordance with the agreement.
It said it observed several gunmen emerging from what it said was a tunnel and entering beneath the rubble of a building east of the Yellow Line.
The military said Air Force aircraft had attacked the building and eliminated two gunmen and that it was likely that additional militants were eliminated in the strike.
The Gaza health ministry said at least 600 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the Gaza deal began. Israel said four soldiers were killed by militants in Gaza over the same period.
Lebanon says four dead in strike as Israel says targeted Palestinian group
Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it had targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.
Despite a November 2024 truce that sought to end more than a year of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon, usually saying it is targeting the Iran-backed group but occasionally also targeting its Palestinian ally Hamas.
It appeared to be the first strike Israel has claimed in Lebanon against Islamic Jihad, which is also allied with Hezbollah, since the truce.
An Israeli drone "targeted a car on the Lebanese-Syrian border", the state-run National News Agency said, adding that "four bodies" were inside the vehicle.
Lebanon's health ministry confirmed the toll in a statement.
The Israeli military in a statement said it "struck Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorists in the Majdal Anjar area".
Fighters from Islamic Jihad were among those killed in Lebanon during hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, which erupted in October 2023 over the Gaza war.
The Palestinian group and Hamas both claimed some attacks and infiltration attempts from Lebanon during the hostilities.
More than 370 people have been killed by Israeli fire in Lebanon since the ceasefire, according to an AFP tally of health ministry reports.
In line with the 2024 truce, the Lebanese army announced in January that it had completed the first phase of a government plan to disarm Hezbollah, covering the area near the Israeli border.
As part of the Lebanese government's push to disarm non-state groups, some Palestinian factions in Lebanon handed over weapons in several refugee camps last year to the Lebanese authorities.
Hamas and its Islamic Jihad ally have not announced plans to disarm in Lebanon.
Read more: Four months on from ceasefire, Gazans still being killed