Reports: British PM got messages from impersonator of Trump adviser

by · UPI

Aug. 17 (UPI) -- British Prime Minister Andy Burnham communicated with a person posing at U.S. President Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles, sources familiar with the interaction told media outlets.

Politico, citing four unnamed officials, was the first to report Monday that Burnham became suspicious that the messages were illegitimate. The New York Times and BBC confirmed the report.

Sources said Burnham never spoke with the individuals, and only a "few messages" "of no significance" were exchanged before the prime minister reported them to authorities. Downining Street, the prime minister's office, declined to comment on the matter.

"We do not comment on national security matters," the office said.

Sources told Politico that the British Embassy in Washington reached out to the White House about the incident.

Last year, Wiles told associates her cellphone had been hacked, leading to contacts receiving messages from someone purporting to be her. British officials were concerned she may have been hacked again.

The White House denied the suggestion.

"This incident had nothing to do with the chief of staff's devices being hacked," a White House official told Politico.

Andy Burnham gives first speech as British Prime Minister

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham gives his first speech to the country outside No. 10 Downing Street in London on July 20, 2026. Photo by Hugo Philpott/UPI | License Photo

Read More