Karmelo Anthony denied bid for new trial in killing of Austin Metcalf
· UPIAug. 22 (UPI) -- A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony's attempts to get a new trial in the stabbing death of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf.
Anthony, 19, stands convicted of murder and sentenced to 35 years in prison for killing Metcalf in the stands of a Frisco track meet last year.
His legal team argued during the trial that he had acted in self defense.
Prosecutors said the killing was "unjustified" and "plain and simple murder," ABC News reported.
In seeking a new trial, defense attorneys said Anthony was coerced into waiving his right to testify and jury instructions were misleading.
"Upon reviewing the motion, the record, the evidence and argument, the briefs, and the relevant case law, the Court has determined that the motion should be denied," Judge Michael Chitty ruled Saturday.
Chitty, a retired Kaufman County district judge, presided over the appeal after Judge John Roach was recused from the case Wednesday over public comments he made about the original verdict.
"We respect, and expected, the court's decision denying the motion for a new trial," Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said in a statement to ABC News.
"The jury's guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process," Willis added. "Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week's hearing."