Anti-quota protestors gather at Delhi’s CP, many detained
The protestors, who raised slogans and carried placards, called for greater emphasis on economic criteria in deciding eligibility for reservation and government support, arguing that assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste.
by Press Trust of India · The Siasat DailyNew Delhi: Around 300 people gathered at Connaught Place’s outer circle in Delhi on Sunday, August 23, to protest against caste-based reservation and demand reforms in the quota system, with police detaining over 20 protestors from the site, officials said.
The protestors, who raised slogans and carried placards, called for greater emphasis on economic criteria in deciding eligibility for reservation and government support, arguing that assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste.
Police said over 20 people gathered at Connaught Place were detained and removed from the site, as no permission had been granted for the demonstration.
Police maintained a presence at Connaught Place as the gathering was cleared from the protest site.
A key demand raised during the demonstration was the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and a review of the existing reservation framework.
Protestors also sought changes in policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
‘Not against quota, want reforms’
“We are not against reservation. We want reforms in reservation. The government should understand that poor people from all communities also face difficulties, and their concerns should be heard,” a protestor said.
Another participant said the existing system should be examined to ensure that its benefits reach those who genuinely need support.
The protestors also raised concerns over the University Grants Commission framework and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, seeking a broader review of policies they said affected opportunities in education and employment.
The demonstration is part of a mobilisation that has largely taken place through social media. The “Reservation Hatao Andolan”, an Instagram-based page with around 5.6 million followers, had called on its followers to join a physical demonstration in Delhi after building an online campaign around reservation reforms.
Two days earlier, hundreds of people had gathered at Jantar Mantar following the campaign’s call. Police detained several protestors after they gathered at the site, while a separate police-approved demonstration under the same banner had been allowed at Ramlila Ground for up to 500 people until 4 pm.