Nancy Guthrie sheriff says her entire family have been RULED OUT
by RACHEL BOWMAN, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER · Mail OnlineThe sheriff investigating the kidnapping of Nancy Guthrie has announced that the 84-year-old's entire family have been ruled out as possible suspects.
Savannah Guthrie's mother was abducted from her $1 million Tucson, Arizona home in the early hours of February 1.
As the hunt for Nancy entered it's third week on Monday, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos announced the family had been cleared as suspects.
'To be clear... the Guthrie family - to include all siblings and spouses - has been cleared as possible suspects in this case,' Nanos said.
'The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case.
Nancy's son-in-law Tommaso Cioni sparked online speculation after he and his wife Annie - Nancy's daughter - spent her final evening with her on January 31 before she vanished.
Nanos reprimanded any media reports implying he family had been involved.
'To suggest otherwise is no only wrong, it is cruel. the Guthrie family are victims plain and simple,' he said.
'Please, I'm begging you the media to honor our profession and report with some sense of compassion and professionalism.'
It comes as police are hunting for the man seen in chilling footage tampering with Nancy’s doorbell camera shortly before it was disconnected on the night she disappeared.
Nancy's daughter Savannah, who is the host of NBC's Today, issued her latest appeal for information about her missing mom on Sunday.
Savannah said she and her two siblings, Camron and Annie, 'still have hope' and that their mother Nancy is alive and 'still believe' she will be returned to them.
'And I wanted to say to whoever has her or knows where she is that it's never too late, and you're not lost or alone, and it is never too late to do the right thing,' the television host said on Instagram.
'We are here and we believe, and we believe in the essential goodness of every human being, and it's never too late,' she concluded the video, which she captioned 'bring her home.'
Meanwhile, investigators are honing in on the clothing worn by Nancy’s alleged captor.
Authorities are now waiting for confirmation on DNA samples from an unknown male profile that was lifted from a glove that the FBI has said 'appears to match' the pair the suspect was seen wearing in the shocking doorbell surveillance footage.
It was found last week near Nancy's home along with several other gloves, which were sealed in evidence bags by the Pima County Sheriff's Office, and shipped overnight for testing at a private lab in Florida.
Nearly 16 gloves were collected near her home, and most of them were used and discarded by searchers at the site, the FBI told the Daily Mail.
Investigators are also consulting with Walmart management to develop leads because a backpack the suspect was wearing is sold exclusively at the stores.
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said in a text message to The Associated Press on Monday that the 25-liter Ozark Trail Hiker Pack backpack was the only clothing item that has been 'definitively identified.'
'This backpack is exclusive to Walmart and we are working with Walmart management to develop further leads,' Nanos said.
The suspect's clothing 'may have been purchased from Walmart but is not exclusively available at Walmart,' the Pima County Sheriff's Department said in a statement Monday. 'This remains a possibility only.'