Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher in disturbing released footage + Video

by · The Eagle Online

One of the abducted teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed by suspected bandits.

A video allegedly released by the abductors on Sunday showed the teacher tied up before he was beheaded.

The killing has triggered fresh fears over the safety of other victims still being held by the kidnappers.

Oyedokun was among teachers and pupils abducted when gunmen invaded the school on Friday, May 15.

The incident has thrown the community into mourning, with residents and relatives of the victims calling on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue efforts.

Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed the killing through his Special Adviser on Media, Suleimon Olanrewaju, on Monday.

According to Olanrewaju, the governor extended condolences to the victim’s family and assured residents that the government was pursuing both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to secure the release of the remaining captives.

He said: “So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted.

“And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.”

The governor also disclosed that security agencies had recorded some breakthroughs in the investigation.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality.

“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.

“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he said.

Olanrewaju further sympathised with the families of security operatives who died during rescue operations.

According to him, members of the military, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes lost their lives after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the abductors.

Also Read

He added that injured operatives were responding positively to treatment and assured that the government would cover their medical expenses.

The Eagle Online had earlier reported that the abducted principal of the school, Rachael Alamu, appeared in a video from captivity pleading for urgent intervention following the mass abduction.

In the video, the visibly distressed principal appealed to the Federal Government, Governor Makinde, the Christian Association of Nigeria and Nigerians to help secure their release.

She also called for peaceful intervention to prevent loss of lives.

The latest attack has renewed concerns over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across the country.Warning: The video contains graphic and disturbing content that may be upsetting to viewers.

To watch the video, at your discretion, kindly visit our X handle at: https://x.com/DEagleOnline

Follow The Eagle Online Channel on WhatsApp

[wpadcenter_ad id='745970' align='none']