Palestinians fleeing the Shajaiye neighborhood of Gaza City after the Israeli military issued evacuation orders on Thursday.
Credit...Saher Alghorra for The New York Times

Israeli Military Expands Ground Operations in Gaza City

Israel said the operation had killed a militant who was “likely personally involved in the abduction” of the Bibas family on Oct. 7.

by · NY Times

The Israeli military pressed deeper into northern Gaza by ground on Friday after issuing a series of evacuation orders calling on Palestinians to flee, part of its escalating offensive against Hamas in the war-battered Gaza Strip.

The expansion of ground operations came after the Palestinian health authorities said on Thursday that dozens of people, including children, were killed in Israeli strikes on a school turned shelter in the Tuffah neighborhood of Gaza City. On Friday, the Israeli military said the strikes were targeting well-known militants in a Hamas command and control center, without naming them.

The evacuation orders have brought renewed hardship to Palestinians who had already endured displacement from their homes and miserable conditions during the first 15 months of the war. A shaky two-month cease-fire between Israel and Hamas collapsed in March after the two sides failed to reach an agreement to extend it, ending a brief respite for Palestinians in Gaza.

The Israeli military has since embarked on a major bombing campaign and seized territory in Gaza in a tactic that Israeli officials have said was intended to compel Hamas to release more hostages.

As the Israeli military operation expanded, Hamas’s military wing on Friday appeared to threaten the remaining Israeli and foreign hostages held in Gaza. In a statement that did not mention the plight of its own people, Hamas said its fighters were holding some captives in the evacuation zones under “strict security measures that are extremely dangerous to their lives.”

The armed group has in the past threatened the well-being of hostages in the face of Israeli bombardments.

The military said its recent campaign had dismantled weapons infrastructure, including a Hamas command and control center and killed militants, including Mohammed Awad, who it described as a senior military commander in the Palestinian Mujahideen.

The military said that Mr. Awad had taken part in Hamas-led attacks on Oct. 7, 2023, and was “likely personally involved in the abduction and brutal murders of Shiri, Ariel and Kfir Bibas,” though it did not explain how it had come to that conclusion. Mrs. Bibas and her two young children became symbols for many Israelis of their suffering on Oct. 7, when about 1,200 people were killed and about 250 abducted to Gaza

Avichay Adraee, the military’s Arabic-language spokesman, said in a post late Thursday on social media that he was providing a “final” warning before a new attack, urging people to relocate southward. Mr. Adraee suggested that militant groups were operating among civilians.

While many people have complied with such evacuation orders from the military during the most recent Israeli campaign, others have chosen to stay in their homes or shelters, saying they could not bear being displaced or that they have nowhere else to go.

On Friday, the military said its troops began operating in the neighborhood of Shajaiye in eastern Gaza City in order “to expand the security zone,” referring to what it has characterized as a buffer zone next to Israel’s border with Gaza.

. During the first 15 months of war, much of Shajaiye was transformed into a wasteland as the Israeli military fought Hamas, with buildings demolished, roads ripped up and utilities infrastructure ruined.

Palestinian health authorities — who do not distinguish between civilians and combatants — said the bodies of 27 people killed in the Tuffah strike had arrived at the hospital.

Multiple videos verified by The New York Times show an explosion and its chaotic aftermath at the Dar al-Arqam school, where civilians were sheltering. The strikes were followed by a chaotic scene at Al Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City, where dust-covered and bloodied children were rushed from vehicles.

Khamis Elessi, a volunteer doctor at the hospital, said successive waves of wounded people arrived in the emergency room, overwhelming medical staff.

“It was a terrifying scene,” he said in phone interview. “People were thrown on the ground.”

Dr. Elessi, 56, said he was stunned by the number of wounded children. “I was brought to tears,” he said. “One boy kept asking me: Why did they hit me?”

One of those killed was the grandson of Khalil al-Hayya, Hamas’s top negotiator based in Qatar, the Hamas-run Al Aqsa TV channel reported.

Israel has previously targeted schools being used as shelters, contending that Hamas militants were operating command centers in them. Hamas has denied such claims in the past. The United Nations has said that Israeli strikes on schools probably violated the law by causing disproportionate harm to noncombatants.

More than 1,000 people in Gaza have been killed since the collapse of the cease-fire on March 18 and more than 50,000 people have been killed since the start of the war, according to the Gaza health ministry. The bodies of 86 people killed by Israel arrived at hospitals across Gaza on Thursday, according to the health ministry.

Nader Ibrahim, Ameera Harouda and Aaron Boxerman reporting.


Our Coverage of Tensions in the Middle East


  • U.S. Strikes in Yemen: In closed briefings, Pentagon officials have acknowledged that there has been only limited success in destroying the Houthis’ vast, largely underground arsenal of missiles, drones and launchers, according to congressional aides and allies.
  • Strike at Gaza City Shelter: Dozens of people were killed in an Israeli strike on a school-turned-shelter in the city, according to local health authorities. The Israeli military said that it was looking into reports about the incident.
  • One Gazan Family’s Story: The Abu Teirs thought the cease-fire might mean they could start to rebuild their lives. But a new round of Israeli airstrikes dashed those dreams.
  • What Is ‘Qatargate’?: The police questioned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel amid claims that members of his team worked simultaneously for the state of Qatar. He is not a suspect, but two of his media advisers have been arrested.
  •  Israel's Syria Incursion: Syria accused Israel of trying to destabilize the country after intense airstrikes on military bases and a deadly raid in southern Syria. Israel defended the moves as necessary security measures.
  •  A Hostage Campaigns for Others: Trepidation over the fate of other captives in Gaza has left Ilana Gritzewsky little time for self-healing after her own violent abduction.