Russell Brand has been accused of sexual assault

Russell Brand rape and indecent assault charges in full

by · DevonLive

Russell Brand, the former comedian and Hollywood star has been charged with one count each of rape, indecent assault and oral rape, as well as two counts of sexual assault. The allegations relate to four separate women, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police said.

One of the incidents is alleged to have happened in Dorset. The Metropolitan Police said that Brand has been charged with raping a woman in Dorset.

It comes after detectives began investigating in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations following reporting by Channel 4’s Dispatches and The Sunday Times. Brand is charged with the rape of a woman in 1999 in the Bournemouth area and the oral rape and sexual assault of a woman in 2004 in the Westminster area of London.

He has also been charged with indecently assaulting a woman in 2001 and sexually assaulting another woman between 2004 and 2005. Both of these incidents are alleged to have taken place in Westminster, London.

Brand has previously denied all of the criminal allegations against him. Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, May 2.

Jaswant Narwal, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences. We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.

“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault. These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.

“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a first hearing on Friday, May 2, 2025. The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers. The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.

"A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk. Support is also available by contacting the independent charity Rape Crisis.”