Death Recorded as Gunman Opens Fire Near Donald Trump's White House
by Ridwan Adeola Yusuf, https://www.facebook.com/legitngnews · Legit.ng News · Join- 21-year-old Nasire Best was shot dead by the Secret Service after firing near White House security checkpoint
- It was the third gunfire incident near President Donald Trump in a month amid escalating security concerns
- A bystander was injured as journalists reported a dramatic scene during the shooting on Saturday evening, May 23
Find it fast with our new search feature at Legit.ng!
Legit.ng journalist Ridwan Adeola Yusuf has over 9 years of experience covering world news and global affairs.
Washington - USA - A man who opened fire Saturday, May 23, near a White House security checkpoint is dead after being shot by officers who returned fire, the United States (US) Secret Service said.
It was the third incidence of gunfire in the vicinity of President Donald Trump in the past month.
The law enforcement agency said in a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter) that the man was in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue when he “pulled a weapon from his bag" shortly after 6 p.m. EDT and began firing. Secret Service officers returned fire and hit the suspect, who died at a hospital, the agency said.
From breaking news to viral moments. Follow Legit.ng on Instagram.
The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, said a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the investigation.
According to District of Columbia court records, Best was arrested in July 2025 after he attempted to enter a different White House checkpoint without authorisation, didn’t heed officers’ commands to stop, “claimed he was Jesus Christ” and said he wanted to be arrested.
An initial hearing was held, and a “Pretrial Stay Away Order” was issued, typically a measure ordering a defendant not to go near a person or area before a trial. A bench warrant was issued in August after a notice of “noncompliance” against Best, who did appear for a subsequent hearing.
Latest gunfire incident around Trump
It was the third time in the past month that shots were fired near the president after incidents at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in April and near the Washington Monument earlier in May.
A bystander was also struck on Saturday, May 23, but a law enforcement official said it wasn’t clear whether that person was hit by the suspect’s initial bullets or those fired subsequently by officers.
The Secret Service said none of its officers were injured, and that Trump, who was at the White House at the time, was not "impacted.” Trump originally was scheduled to spend the weekend at his New Jersey golf club, but changed his plans on Friday, May 22, to stay at the White House instead.
FBI Director Kash Patel said on social media that agency personnel were on the scene and "we will update the public as we’re able.”
Evidence of the shooting was visible on a sidewalk just outside the White House complex, where yellow crime scene tape snaked across the pavement, and Secret Service officers placed dozens of orange evidence markers on the ground. Medical materials, including what appeared to be purple surgical gloves and kits typically used by emergency medical personnel, were also seen.
Gunshots heard by journalists at the White House
Journalists working at the White House on Saturday evening, May 23, reported hearing a series of gunshots and were told to seek shelter inside the press briefing room.
In a post shared on X, an ABC News correspondent shared dramatic video of the moment she said she heard what “sounded like dozens of gunshots” and ducked for cover.
On X, the video had been shared thousands of times and viewed at least 3 million times.
Shooting scene not far from deadly incident in 2025
The shooting scene is within walking distance of where a gunman ambushed two members of the West Virginia National Guard in November 2025.
US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from the wounds she suffered in that shooting. Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, then 24, was critically wounded. Rahmanullah Lakanwal has been charged in that incident.
The gunfire Saturday came nearly a month after what law enforcement authorities said was an attempted assassination of the president as he attended the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner at a Washington hotel on April 25. Cole Tomas Allen, of Torrance, California, recently pleaded not guilty to charges that he attempted to kill Trump. Allen is accused of running through a security checkpoint inside the hotel and firing a shotgun at a Secret Service officer.
Following that scare, Secret Service officers shot a suspect they said had fired at officers near the Washington Monument, several blocks from the White House. Michael Marx, 45, of Midland, Texas, was charged in a complaint filed in US District Court in connection with the May 4 shooting. A teenage bystander was wounded in that incident.
US kills key Iranian figure
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Pete Hegseth, the US defence secretary, said the leader behind an alleged plot to assassinate Trump has been killed.
The announcement of the unnamed Iranian official's killing came during an operational update of the ongoing war with Iran at the Pentagon.