Air defences destroyed 81 drones headed for Moscow ‌since ⁠midnight. (Credits: Reuters)

4 killed as Ukraine targets Moscow in largest drone attack in months

Ukraine launched a major drone attack on Russian regions, with Moscow facing its biggest assault in more than a year. The strike killed at least four people and disrupted key sites.

by · India Today

In Short

  • Three deaths were reported in Moscow region and one in Belgorod
  • A woman died in Khimki as rescuers searched debris for another
  • Two men were killed in Pogorelki while buildings and facilities suffered damage

At least four people were killed in a major Ukrainian drone attack on Russian regions, including Moscow, which faced its largest assault in more than a year.

Three people died in the Moscow region and one in the Belgorod region, authorities said on Sunday.

Moscow regional Governor Andrei Vorobyov said a woman was killed when a home was hit in Khimki, north of the capital, adding that rescuers were searching the debris for another person. Two men were killed in the village of Pogorelki in the Mytishchi district. Several residential high-rises and infrastructure facilities were damaged, he said.

Air defences destroyed 81 drones headed for Moscow since midnight, TASS reported, citing Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, making it the largest attack on the capital in over a year.

Sobyanin said 12 people were injured, mostly near the entrance to Moscow's oil refinery, while three houses were damaged. The "technology" of the refinery was not damaged, he added.

Russia's defence ministry said 556 drones had been downed over the country overnight and into the morning.

The country's largest airport – Moscow's Sheremetyevo – said drone debris had fallen on its territory without causing any damage.

- Ends