Trump ‘holds off’ Iran strike but warns military to stay ready
by By The News Digital · The News InternationalUS President Donald Trump said he has delayed a planned military strike on Iran, saying Gulf leaders requested more time as negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear programme continue.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he would “hold off” on Tuesday’s planned attack after appeals from leaders in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Advertisement
However, he warned the US military remained prepared for action if talks failed.
“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump wrote.
Speaking later at the White House, Trump described the latest negotiations as “a little bit different” from previous failed attempts to reach an agreement with Tehran.
“We were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow. I put it off for a little while — hopefully, maybe, forever,” Trump told reporters, adding that Gulf states believed they were close to securing a breakthrough.
According to CNN, Trump had been presented with military strike options after becoming frustrated with the pace of talks.
The report said disagreements over Iran’s uranium enrichment programme remain a major obstacle.
Trump also said he had instructed US military leaders to remain ready for “a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if negotiations collapse.