Russell Brand Charged With Rape and Sexual Assault
· Yahoo NewsGenerate Key Takeaways
Russell Brand has been charged with rape, indecent assault and sexual assault by London’s Metropolitan Police.
The charges relate to four separate women and incidents that took place between 1999 and 2005.
More from Variety
- BBC Apologizes to Staff as Russell Brand Investigation Reveals Allegation That Comedian Exposed Himself Was 'Joked About'
- Nicole Scherzinger Apologizes After Supporting Russell Brand's 'Make Jesus First Again' Post: 'I Come From a Place of Love'
- Nicole Scherzinger Criticized for Commenting on Russell Brand's 'Make Jesus First Again' Post: 'Where Do I Get This Hat?'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
According to the police, the comedian and actor has been interviewed multiple times since a major investigation by the Sunday Times, the Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches in September 2023 revealed multiple serious allegations against him.
The 50-year-old has previously denied the allegations.
“The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers,” said detective superintendent Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation. “The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
Brand, who has been mostly based in the U.S. for the last few years, is now due to appear at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court on May 2.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
The 2023 expose — which included a 90-minute documentary and article in the Times — saw Brand accused of “rape, sexual assaults and emotional abuse.” A rep for the show said that “Five women, four of whom asked to remain anonymous, agreed to share their stories of serious sexual allegations in the program.”
In the wake of the report, Brand’s live tour was postponed and his publishing deal with Pan Macmillan imprint Bluebird was suspended. The BBC also removed some previous programs that featured Brand from digital services, saying that the content “falls below public expectations.”
Following an internal investigation, earlier this year the BBC apologized to staff members who felt they were unable to raise complaints or concerns about Brand’s behavior while he worked at the broadcaster.
According to the BBC, its investigation considered eight complaints, two of which were made while Brand worked for the BBC. One such complaint related to Brand urinating into a cup during a show on BBC Radio 2. The BBC acknowledged that it had been registered formally at the time, but admitted it was “not dealt with effectively.” Another part of the report concerned an allegation that Brand had exposed himself to a woman in the bathroom of the BBC’s L.A. office.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Brand, who was a major star on U.K. TV in the mid-2000s and would go on to find Hollywood fame with movies such as “Pineapple Express,” had fallen out of the limelight in the years before the allegations. But he had begun amassing large numbers of followers on the political right-wing (despite being original considered one of the most prominent left-wing voices in the U.K.) and has spoken out numerous times in support of Donald Trump. Over the last year, he’s also discussed his new-found Christianity and has prayed alongside Tucker Carlson at live events.
Best of Variety
- New Movies Out Now in Theaters: What to See This Week
- What's Coming to Disney+ in April 2025
- The Best Celebrity Memoirs to Read This Year: From Chelsea Handler to Anthony Hopkins
Sign up for Variety's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.