Labour Party petitions police, DSS over alleged illegal distribution of nomination forms
by Matthew Atungwu · Daily PostThe Labour Party has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, and the Department of State Services, DSS, over the alleged illegal distribution of nomination forms by a former national chairman of the party, Julius Abure.
The party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, made the allegation while speaking with newsmen on the sidelines of the party’s screening of aspirants for primaries on Thursday in Abuja.
Usman said copies of the petitions written to the IGP and the DSS had also been forwarded to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
She described the alleged circulation of the forms as unlawful, insisting that the leadership elected at the party’s Umuahia convention remained the recognised one.
“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his (Abure’s) tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention and elected new leaders.
“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms,” she said.
Asked if the party had been served with any notice of the appeal, the LP chairman said that the party had yet to be served with any, regarding Abure’s alleged appeal to the Supreme Court.
Usman maintained that the Supreme Court would likely uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.
“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.
She alleged that some aspirants had been misled into purchasing unauthorised forms.
“One man came here to tell me his wife was contesting, and when I looked at the form, it was not the form we issued.
“They are deceiving people and it is not right at all,” she said.
On preparations for the 2027 elections, Usman expressed confidence in the strength of the party, citing the number of aspirants showing interest in contesting on its platform.
“Judging from the number of people indicating interest in using the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.
The national chairman disclosed that three aspirants had so far purchased presidential nomination forms.
Usman, however, reiterated the party’s decision to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South.
“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.