Gunman shot dead after opening fire near White House checkpoint

by · Daily Post

A gunman, who opened fire near a security checkpoint close to the White House on Saturday evening, was killed after officers of the United States Secret Service returned fire during the incident.

The shooting occurred around 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, near the White House complex, prompting an immediate security lockdown in the area as law enforcement agencies responded.

According to the U.S. Secret Service, the suspect approached the checkpoint shortly after 6 p.m., removed a firearm from a bag and began shooting toward officers stationed at the location.

Secret Service personnel responded by firing back, critically injuring the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Authorities also confirmed that a bystander sustained gunshot injuries during the incident, although officials had yet to determine whether the individual was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the exchange of gunfire with officers. No Secret Service operative was injured.

President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House when the shooting occurred but was not harmed, according to officials.

The incident triggered a major security operation, with officers from the Secret Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local police agencies heavily deployed around the area.

Roads surrounding the White House were temporarily shut down while investigators secured the scene and began preliminary investigations.

Journalists within the White House complex said multiple gunshots were heard during the incident, after which members of the media were instructed to take cover inside the press briefing room.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said reporters on the North Lawn were ordered to run for safety immediately after the gunfire erupted.

FBI Director Kash Patel later confirmed that the bureau had joined the response operation and was assisting the Secret Service with the ongoing investigation.

The Associated Press identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Court records cited by the news agency indicated that Best had previously been arrested in 2025 after allegedly attempting to gain unauthorised access through a White House security checkpoint.