Two teenage suspects fatally shoot three people at San Diego mosque in suspected hate crime
by Jane Moore, https://www.thejournal.ie/author/jane-moore/ · TheJournal.ieLAST UPDATE | 5 hrs ago
TWO TEENAGE SUSPECTS shot and killed three people at a mosque in California before they were found dead in a car with self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego is being investigated as a hate crime.
The shooting happened as police were investigating a call about a teenager who was thought to have run away from home.
San Diego Police chief Scott Wahl said officers had been talking to one of the teenagers’ mothers earlier in the day after she had contacted police around 9.40am local time (5.40pm Irish time) to say her son was missing along with multiple weapons and her vehicle.
“She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could,” Wahl said.
The mother also found a note, Wahl said. He did not disclose its contents but said of the case: “There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved.
He added there was no specific threat against the Islamic Centre of San Diego.
Wahl said the teenager whose mother contacted police was a student at Madison High School, about a mile away from the Islamic Centre. Police said the suspects were aged 17 and 19, but have not released their names.
Among those killed was a mosque security guard, who police believe “played a pivotal role” in keeping the attack from being “much worse”, Wahl said.
Later he said authorities continued to review the security guard’s response, but “it’s fair to say his actions were heroic”.
“Undoubtedly he saved lives today,” Wahl said.
The centre is the largest mosque in San Diego County and includes the Al Rashid School that offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages five and up, according to its website.
“All of the kids are safe,” Wahl said. “Our hearts go out to the families that are, in this moment, being notified of what has happened to their loved ones.”
Advertisement
Police responded within four minutes of being called, Wahl said. As they arrived, gunshots rang out a few blocks away where a landscaper was shot at but uninjured.
The gunmen were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby, Wahl said.
Aerial footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the car park of the centre as it was surrounded by scores of police vehicles. The mosque is in a neighbourhood of homes, apartments and strip malls with Middle Eastern restaurants and markets.
Parents were directed to a nearby area to retrieve their children.
The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship”.
“All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he said.
He added that the centre focused on interfaith relations and community building, and that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier on Monday to learn about Islam.
The Islamic Centre’s website says its mission is to not only serve the Muslim population but also “work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation”. Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque works with other organisations and people of all faiths on social causes.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, one of the largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy groups in the US, condemned the shooting.
“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” said CAIR-San Diego executive director Tazheen Nizam in a statement.
“We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers.”
President Donald Trump described the shooting as a “terrible situation.”
“I’ve been given some early updates but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly,” he told reporters.
Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he was being briefed.
“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on X.
With reporting from Press Association
Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.
Learn More Support The Journal