U.S. issues restrictions for Americans traveling from Ebola-affected nations
· UPIMay 21 (UPI) -- Americans traveling back to the United States who have recently been in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan will be required to enter the country through Washington, D.C.
Citizens and lawful permanent residents who have been in any of the countries in the last 21 days will be required to fly to Washington Dulles International Airport for enhanced health screenings before continuing on to their final destination, the U.S. Department of State announced.
The announcement follows an Air France flight bound for the United States on Wednesday afternoon being redirected to Montreal Trudeau International Airport after a passenger on board was determined to be from the DRC.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday already had blocked non-U.S. passport holders from entering the United States if they had been to any of the three African nations in the last 21 days.
Related
- Ebola entry rules divert U.S.-bound Air France flight to Montreal
- CDC says American infected with Ebola was sent to Germany for care
- DRC reports 118 suspected Ebola deaths as epidemic spreads
An American doctor, one of several exposed in the DRC, was also confirmed to be infected with the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola on Tuesday and flown to Germany for treatment.
"The Dulles requirement applies to all passengers, including U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, who were present in those countries," the State Department said in a travel advisory.
"Please be prepared for flight changes or cancellations," the department said.
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference that there have 51 confirmed cases of Ebola among the three countries, with nearly 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.
Tedros said the scale of the epidemic is "much larger" in the DRC, and that there have been deaths reported among health care workers, which suggests health care-associated transmission.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that the doctor whose case was confirmed this week, with officials flying him to Germany because of their previous experience in handling Ebola cases.
Although contacts linked to the doctor also have been moved to Germany and Czechia for observation, there have been no additional cases in Americans, the CDC said.
This week in Washington
President Donald Trump turns to photographers in the press pool after greeting guests during the Congressional Picnic on the South Lawn of the White House on Tuesday. Photo by Samuel Corum/UPI | License Photo